Preseason Information Page (updated 2/3/17)
- We will field 2 teams, one Varsity and one JV
- The lacrosse season runs from tryouts starting February 18 to the CIF finals on May 13, 2017.
- All players who wish to tryout must complete the CCA Athletic clearance process . See the CCA athletics site for more info.
- Optional Preseason practice sessions are currently running and are being led by Varsity Captains Melissa Pelowski and Shayna Weinstein on Mondays , Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:15 PM until 5:00 pm. Meet outside the gym lower level. Anyone may join at any time.
- A Preseason workout packet and set of videos are available to help you in your preparation for tryouts. This packet is provided purely for your benefit and does NOT need to be turned in.
The schedule for tryouts is as follows:
Sat Feb 18 , 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM at the stadium
Mon Feb 20, 3:15 PM - 5:15 PM , location TBD
Tue Feb 21, 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM , location TBD
Only girls that have been cleared (see bullet 3) may participate! Shortly after tryouts are completed, the two teams will be announced.
Tryouts can be a very stressful time for athletes. This is simply an opportunity or a tool to allow coaches to evaluate the student athletes and place them where they will be most valuable to the program. Girls Lacrosse at CCA is a very competitive and highly successful program. Ideally we would love to allow everyone to play and never cut players that want to play the sport. However, we are unable to field a third team as it is very difficult to find programs to play and we don't have the necessary coaching staff, so unfortunately some player cuts may be necessary. In the future, I am open to discussing growing our program if we have the numbers to support it with players and staffing.
Tryout Evaluation Criteria
A. Stick Skills
B. Cardiovascular Fitness- Everyone needs to be in shape the day they step on the field. If players are not in shape, it is clear to the coaches who has been preparing and who has not. Get in shape! Run for distance, sprints, and stairs.
C. Attitude and Effort are everything!! Does the player show up on time, ready to play, with a smile, willingness to become a better player and open to new ideas? Are they willing to learn? Are they coachable? 100%EFFORT. A coach cannot ask for more.
If you need explanation on terms or concepts, please refer to our videos on our website or go to uslacrosse.org.
- There will be a mandatory player/parent meeting on Monday February 27 at 5:30 PM in the learning commons.
- Parent Volunteer Opportunities to start thinking about: scoreboard operator, timekeeper, scorekeeper, fundraiser coordinator/assistant . Parents will in the future be able to sign up through the Help page or by contacting Kelly Ma to volunteer for these vital roles. It takes a tribe to make this work.
#1 Priority is to have fun, learn the great game of lacrosse and honor the game!!